Monday, October 16, 2006

Drop Everything And Read!

It’s totally Monday. I worked and slept most of the weekend. Loved it. The second story of Whispering Mountain is coming so fast I feel like it may run over me. The biggest problem with this book is finding time to write fast enough.

I did take time out to see a play this weekend. Marfa Lights. There is something about plays that I’ve always loved. I used to make my mother drive me to Canyon to watch the plays here at the university. I’d sit in the back all by myself loving every play.

My most asked question this week was: If you think you want to be a writer, where do you start?

I’d have to say start with reading. Once in a while I see people who want to write who are not readers. (the last fiction they read was a high school requirement) I think that makes it hard. By reading, you pick up how a book moves. Read books in the area and style you want to write, and read books on writing. In talks I often say I checked out the section on writing at the library one summer. Many of the books offered little, but a few gave me great clues into how the writing process works. Second, I tell new writers to write every day. Start a pattern, even if it is only 15 minutes, of writing. If you have little time the writing could be an idea book of stories you’d like to get to someday. I have idea books at every desk just in case I set down and don’t have anything to write one day. I keep writing in them, but I’ve never used a single idea to date. Other ones keep getting in the way.

Have a great week and remember: Any day above ground is a good day.

JTSiggie

No comments:

Post a Comment