Thursday, September 18, 2008

A Veritable Smorgasbord

This week is the Tri-State Fair in the Panhandle of Texas. Just saying the words makes me want a foot long corn dog. I love the fair, not for the rides or the food but for the people. It’s fun to find a corner and watch all the people go by.

I’m in the process of finding characters. It’s not easy. Once in a while a character just walks up to me fully developed. When that happens I feel more like I’m just meeting them, not creating them. Some characters reveal themselves slow like people do in real life. I love it when I start out writing someone I think I’m going to hate or at least not like, then all of a sudden he does something I didn’t expect and I end up caring about him.

O’Henry once said something about if a writer is ever blocked he should change his environment. For me, I’d like to just stay in the same environment to get the story on paper.

JTSiggie

No comments:

Post a Comment